Date:   Tue, 19 Jun 2018 20:47:07 +0200
From:   Dirk Gouders <dirk@...ders.net>
To:     Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org>
Cc:     Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@...ionext.com>,
        Segher Boessenkool <segher@...nel.crashing.org>,
        Sam Ravnborg <sam@...nborg.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC v7 1/1] mconf: global i-search in menu prompts

Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@...radead.org> writes:

> Hi Dirk,
>
> On 06/17/2018 05:15 AM, Dirk Gouders wrote:
>>
>> At any time, at most one i-search is active and the navigation path to
>> the current menu is displayed in the subtitle, the second line in the
>> menu window.
>
> Nice.
>
> And the highlight of the current menu item is also nice when TAB is used to
> switch to the buttons.  As well as toggling the help text based on context.
>

>> Navigation example:
>>
>> To navigate to options concerning NFS file systems, simply type 'n',
>> 'f' and 's'.
>>
>> Hint: use the 'z' key with focus on buttons to search for invisible
>>       prompts.
>
> I think what this says is that the 'z' key is a toggle for the display of
> some (invisible) prompts.  Is that correct?
>

> I reliably (consistently) get a segfault.  I have hit it several times.
> Here is one way to get it:
>
> $ make menuconfig
> and then enter:
> /debug\

Hello Randy,

thank you for testing and your comments!

Concerning the segfault, I already have a version 8 prepared but wanted
to do more testing before disturbing people, again.

The initialization and operation of the serialized menu was ugly and
wrong.  I did not notice segfaults so far, but I can imagine the
segfaults you noticed are caused by this, because the code you tested
did not operate only on propper initialized array elements.

Before sending out version 8, I would like to include your other
suggestions as well, so could you please try the attached patch if that
also produces the segfaults?

Thanks,

Dirk

View attachment "0001-mconf-global-i-search-in-menu-prompts.patch" of type "text/x-diff" (25112 bytes)