Date:   Wed, 1 Aug 2018 17:33:30 +0100
From:   Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@....com>
To:     Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>
Cc:     Stefan Agner <stefan@...er.ch>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@....de>,
        Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@...nel.org>,
        Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org>,
        Rob Herring <robh+dt@...nel.org>,
        Frank Rowand <frowand.list@...il.com>,
        devicetree@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Fugang Duan <fugang.duan@....com>
Subject: Re: [BUG BISECT] Ethernet fail on VF50 (OF: Don't set default
 coherent DMA mask)

On 31/07/18 18:38, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 04:58:41PM +0100, Robin Murphy wrote:

>>> I suspect it might be of_device_register(), called from
>>> 	arch/sparc/kernel/of_device_64.c:scan_one_device()
>>> 	arch/sparc/kernel/of_device_32.c:scan_one_device()
>>
>> Right, that's as far as I got as well, so I'm struggling to see how these
>> things ever got DMA masks set before the of_dma_configure() call moved out
>> of of_platform_device_create_pdata(), or why it wasn't a problem prior to
>> the generic dma_ops rework if they didn't :/
>>
> Ah, ok. No idea, sorry. All I know is that the messages were first seen
> with next-20180727.

OK, I spent this afternoon wrangling toolchains and QEMU to boot an
instrumented 4.11 kernel, and the answer is that the warnings are
arguably correct. These masks have indeed never been set where they
should have been, but then the sbus_dma_ops don't reference them anyway.

The coherent mask WARN_ON *should* have started appearing in 4.16 with
205e1b7f51e4("dma-mapping: warn when there is no coherent_dma_mask"),
but happened to be hidden by the inadvertent side-effect of the prior
dma_configure() change. Since there's seemingly no actual regression of
functionality, I'm inclined to leave this in the hands of whoever cares
about sparc32.

Robin.