Date:   Wed, 5 Sep 2018 00:02:07 +0200
From:   Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@...tlin.com>
To:     Jiri Kosina <jikos@...nel.org>
Cc:     Uwe Kleine-König
        <u.kleine-koenig@...gutronix.de>, Ales Novak <alnovak@...e.cz>,
        a.zummo@...ertech.it, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
        rtc-linux@...glegroups.com, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-rtc@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: rtc: fix chardev initialization races

On 22/05/2018 17:33:40+0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2018, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > [adding linux-rtc ML and Alexandre to Cc:]
> >
> > Hello,

> > > Oh wow, hello back to 4 years ago!
> >
> > :-)
> >

> > > Looking at the current code, I don't think there is no such race any more,
> > > as the last thing cmos_do_probe() -> __rtc_register_device() does that can
> > > potentially fail is the chardev creation itself.
> >
> > OK, so you agree that it's also save to do something in a driver's probe
> > after rtc_device_register() and call rtc_device_unregister() in the error
> > path, right?
>
> Hmm, not really; that's what the code apparently did 4 years ago (judging
> from the scenario in the old mail, I of course forgot all the details),
> but doesn't do it any more.
>
> Looking at the current code, if you call rtc_device_unregister() in the
> probe path, where is the guarantee that cdev_get() will not derefernce
> already freed struct module*?

I've also tried to produce it and couldn't. The whole magic happens in
kobj_lookup. Freeing the module before ends up with the application
opening the char dev getting -ENXIO. Freeing the module after
kobj_lookup is not possible and ends up with -EBUSY.

--
Alexandre Belloni, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering