Date:   Tue, 25 Sep 2018 02:24:33 +0000
From:   gratuitouslicensesarerevocable@...chan.it
To:     Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@...rovitsch.priv.at>
Cc:     xDynamite <dreamingforward@...il.com>, jonsmirl@...il.com,
        Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>, fche@...hat.com,
        riel@...riel.com, ec429@...tab.net,
        Olof Johansson <olof@...om.net>,
        Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-kernel-owner@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.

In your employment contract there exists a provision where you sign over
your rights to any and all intellectual property, patents, copyrights
developed during your term of employment.

Said clause makes it clear that what you've furnished is a work-for-hire
and owned by the company or the entity you have contracted with.

It should be clear why that is not the case with regards to kernel
contributions by third parties.
Unlike the FSF etc, Linus never required nor sought copyright
assignments: thus you still own your code.

You were not paid valuable consideration by the licensees for the code.
There exists no interest to bind your hand.

You never even suggested to said licensees that you would forfeit your
right to revoke.
Furthermore, they were incapable of relying on said in-existent
utterances.

You may revoke at your pleasure.
And they shall be bound by the will of your countenance.