Date:   Wed, 16 Jan 2019 22:36:58 +0100
From:   Andrea Parri <andrea.parri@...rulasolutions.com>
To:     Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
Cc:     LKMM Maintainers -- Akira Yokosawa <akiyks@...il.com>,
        Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>,
        Daniel Lustig <dlustig@...dia.com>,
        David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>,
        Jade Alglave <j.alglave@....ac.uk>,
        Luc Maranget <luc.maranget@...ia.fr>,
        Nicholas Piggin <npiggin@...il.com>,
        "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Will Deacon <will.deacon@....com>,
        Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@...gle.com>,
        Nick Desaulniers <ndesaulniers@...gle.com>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Plain accesses and data races in the Linux Kernel Memory Model

[...]

> The difficulty with incorporating plain accesses in the memory model
> is that the compiler has very few constraints on how it treats plain
> accesses.  It can eliminate them, duplicate them, rearrange them,
> merge them, split them up, and goodness knows what else.  To make some
> sense of this, I have taken the view that a plain access can exist
> (perhaps multiple times) within a certain bounded region of code.
> Ordering of two accesses X and Y means that we guarantee at least one
> instance of the X access must be executed before any instances of the
> Y access.  (This is assuming that neither of the accesses is
> completely eliminated by the compiler; otherwise there is nothing to
> order!)
>
> After adding some simple definitions for the sets of plain and marked
> accesses and for compiler barriers, the patch updates the ppo
> relation.  The basic idea here is that ppo can be broken down into
> categories: memory barriers, overwrites, and dependencies (including
> dep-rfi).
>
> 	Memory barriers always provide ordering (compiler barriers do
> 	not but they have indirect effects).
>
> 	Overwriting always provides ordering.  This may seem
> 	surprising in the case where both X and Y are plain writes,
> 	but in that case the memory model will say that X can be
> 	eliminated unless there is at least a compiler barrier between
> 	X and Y, and this barrier will enforce the ordering.
>
> 	Some dependencies provide ordering and some don't.  Going by
> 	cases:
>
> 		An address dependency to a read provides ordering when
> 		the source is a marked read, even when the target is a
> 		plain read.  This is necessary if rcu_dereference() is
> 		to work correctly; it is tantamount to assuming that
> 		the compiler never speculates address dependencies.
> 		However, if the source is a plain read then there is
> 		no ordering.  This is because of Alpha, which does not
> 		respect address dependencies to reads (on Alpha,
> 		marked reads include a memory barrier to enforce the
> 		ordering but plain reads do not).

Can the compiler (maybe, it does?) transform, at the C or at the "asm"
level, LB1's P0 in LB2's P0 (LB1 and LB2 are reported below)?

C LB1

{
	int *x = &a;
}

P0(int **x, int *y)
{
	int *r0;

	r0 = rcu_dereference(*x);
	*r0 = 0;
	smp_wmb();
	WRITE_ONCE(*y, 1);
}

P1(int **x, int *y, int *b)
{
	int r0;

	r0 = READ_ONCE(*y);
	rcu_assign_pointer(*x, b);
}

exists (0:r0=b /\ 1:r0=1)

C LB2

{
	int *x = &a;
}

P0(int **x, int *y)
{
	int *r0;

	r0 = rcu_dereference(*x);
	if (*r0)
		*r0 = 0;
	smp_wmb();
	WRITE_ONCE(*y, 1);
}

P1(int **x, int *y, int *b)
{
	int r0;

	r0 = READ_ONCE(*y);
	rcu_assign_pointer(*x, b);
}

exists (0:r0=b /\ 1:r0=1)

LB1 and LB2 are data-race free, according to the patch; LB1's "exists"
clause is not satisfiable, while LB2's "exists" clause is satisfiable.

I'm adding Nick to Cc (I never spoke with him, but from what I see in
LKML, he must understand compiler better than I currently do... ;-/ )

  Andrea