Date:   Thu, 17 Jan 2019 10:25:24 +0000
From:   Nick Clifton <nickc@...hat.com>
To:     Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...nel.org>
Cc:     Namhyung Kim <namhyung@...nel.org>, Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...nel.org>,
        lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        Alexander Shishkin <alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com>,
        Michael Petlan <mpetlan@...hat.com>,
        Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@...nel.org>, kernel-team@....com
Subject: Re: [RFC] perf tools: Filter out hidden symbols from labels

Hi Arnaldo,

>>> Humm, is -fno-omit-frame-pointer there by any chance? :-)

> Would be interestint to have that info, as we could hint the user that
> backtraces should be done with something else than '--call-graph fp' :-)

OK, well I have added the feature to annobin 8.67, now in Fedora
rawhide.  Unfortunately it will take a while before the information
actually gets into binaries, since the new data is only recorded
when a package is rebuilt.  So basically you are looking at Fedora 30
at the earliest.

If you want to see the plugin in action, build something on a rawhide
system (or a mock chroot) using the gcc command line option -fplugin=annobin.
(Make sure that you have annobin-8.67 installed).  Then once the binary
is built run "readelf --wide --notes <file> | grep omit" to see the
omit-frame-pointer notes.

Cheers
  Nick