Date:   Tue, 5 Mar 2019 21:37:46 +0000
From:   Parav Pandit <parav@...lanox.com>
To:     Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
CC:     "netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
        "michal.lkml@...kovi.net" <michal.lkml@...kovi.net>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jiri Pirko <jiri@...lanox.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <jakub.kicinski@...ronome.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC net-next 8/8] net/mlx5: Add subdev driver to bind to subdev
 devices

Subdev devices are created using devlink tool that works on device handle.
Device handle is defined using bus/device of a 'struct device'.
It is described in [1].
$ devlink dev add DEV creates new devlink device instance and its holding 'struct device'.
This command returns device handle = new devlink instance bus/name.
Patch 6 in the series returns device handle.
Patch 6 is at [2] with example in it where sysfs name and devlink matches with each other.

> > > will fail badly that day, because we are creating some sub device
> > > which is not even a netdevice.
> > >
> > > But it is a network device, right?
> > >
> > When there is passthrough subdevice, there won't be netdevice created.
> > We don't want to create passthrough subdevice using iproute2/ip tool
> which primarily works on netdevices.
>
> I don't know enough networking to claim anything here, so I'll ignore this :)

> > > right abstraction point to create sub devices.
> > > rich infrastructure that is already built.

> > > child devices (split logic in netdev and rdma) for power management.
> > >
> > > And how is power management going to work with your new devices?
> > > All you have here is a tiny shim around a driver bus,
> > So subdevices power management is done before their parent's.
> > Vendor driver doesn't need to iterate its child devices to suspend/resume
> it.
>
> True, so we can just autosuspend these "children" device and the "vendor
> driver" is not going to care?  You are going to care as you are talking to the
> same PCI device.
Oh, vendor driver certainly care.
subdev vendor driver implements driver->pm callbacks to work on just a specific subdev.
Patch-2 in series at [3] implement shim layer by connecting core pm layer to driver pm callbacks.

> This goes to the other question about "how are you
> sharing PCI device resources?"

Currently its equal distribution among all subdevices.
But when actual user arise to ask for specific resource reservation etc, we add those parameters using existing devlink infra [4].

> > > I do not see any new
> > > functionality, and as others have said, no way to actually share, or
> > > split up, the PCI resources.
> > >
> > devlink tool create command will be able to accept more parameters
> during device creation time to share and split PCI resources.
> > This is just the start of the development and RFC is to agree on direction.
> > devlink tool has parameters options that can be queried/set and existing
> infra will be used for granular device config.
>
> Pointers to this beast?

[1] and [4].

> > > subdev bus or mfd pm callbacks.

> > > But that's all you are showing here :)
> > >
> > Starting use case is netdev and rdma, but we don't want to create new
> > tools few months/a year later for passthrough mode or for different
> > link layers etc.
>
> And I don't want to see duplicated driver model code happen either, which
> is why I point out the MFD layer :)

Yes. Sure.

> > > smaller sub devices out of one PCI device.
> > >
> > > That is what a mfd should allow you to do.
> > >
> > I did cursory look at mfd.
> > It lacks removing specific devices, but that is small. It can be
> > enhanced to remove specific mfd device.
>
> That should be easy enough, work with the MFD developers.  I think
> something like that should work today as you can use USB devices with MFD,
> right?
>

> > > No, do not abuse a platform device.
> > Yes. that is my point mfd devices are platform devices.
> > mfd creates platform devices. and to match to it, platfrom_register_driver()
> have to be called to bind to it.
> > I do not know currently if we have the flexibility to say that instead of
> binding X driver, bind Y driver for platform devices.
>
> try it :)
>
> > > You should be able to just use a normal PCI device for this just
> > > fine, and if not, we should be able to make the needed changes to
> > > mfd for that.
> > >
> > Ok. so parent pci device and mfd devices.
> > mfd seems to fit this use case.
> > Do you think 'Platform devices' section is stale in [1] for autonomy, host
> bridge, soc platform etc points?
>
> Nope, they are still horrible things and I hate them :)
>
> Maybe we should just make MFD create "virtual" devices (bare ones, no
> need for platform stuff), and that would solve the issue of the platform
> device bloat being drug around everywhere.

If you mean virtual MFD devices in /sys/devices/virtual/, than, it becomes difficult to do their life cycle using devlink because, devlink handle = bus+device.
devlink will fail to work. Inventing new tool and make it work with devlink wouldn't work.

virtual device has bus=NULL.
mfd device currently has bus_type=platform.

We still need to link subdevice to parent pci for power_mgmt to work, right?
And also to see right device hierarchy.
Don't you think subdev bus is actually able to link all the pieces together?
devlink, sysfs, core kernel, vendor drivers..

[1] http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/devlink-dev.8.html
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/1046995/
[3] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/1046996/
[4] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/959280/