Date:   Mon, 15 Jul 2019 11:40:31 -0500
From:   Octavio Alvarez <octallk1@...arezp.org>
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, x86@...nel.org,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
        "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>,
        Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@....com>,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
        "Steven Rostedt (VMware)" <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
        Jiang Biao <jiang.biao2@....com.cn>,
        Yi Wang <wang.yi59@....com.cn>,
        Dou Liyang <douly.fnst@...fujitsu.com>,
        Nicolai Stange <nstange@...e.de>,
        Mirko Lindner <mlindner@...vell.com>,
        Stephen Hemminger <stephen@...workplumber.org>
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: Marvell 88E8040 (sky2) fails after hibernation

On 6/27/19 9:38 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>> I did two tests:
>>
>> If I boot with sky2.disable_msi=1 on the kernel cmdline then the problem goes
>> away (when back from hibernation, the NIC works OK).
>>
>> If I boot regularly (disable_msi not set) and then do modprobe -r sky2;
>> modprobe sky2 disable_msi=1, the problem stays (when back from hibernation,
>> the NIC does not work).
>
> Interesting. Did you verify that the driver still uses INTx after
> hibernation in /proc/interrupts?
>
>   cat /proc/interrupts | grep eth0
>
> The 6st column should show IO-APIC for INTx. If it shows PCI-MSI then
> something went wrong

Hi, Thomas,

If I reboot with sky2.disable_msi=1, then I get IO-APIC and the bug does
not occur:

  19:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC  19-fasteoi eth0

However, if I reboot without sky2.disable_msi=1 it properly starts as
PCI-MSI and then, after re-modprobing it it goes to IO-APIC, but the bug
occurs anyway:

$ cat /proc/interrupts | grep eth
  27:          0          1          0          0   PCI-MSI 3145728-edge
      eth0

$ sudo modprobe -r sky2
[sudo] password for alvarezp:

$ sudo modprobe sky2 disable_msi=1

$ # hibernating and coming back hibernation

$ cat /proc/interrupts | grep eth
  19:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC  19-fasteoi
  eth0

> Also please check Linus suspicion about the module being reloaded after
> hibernation through some distro magic.

This is not happening. Each time the driver is loaded the message "sky2:
driver version 1.30" is shown.

I confirm only 1 line for the sky2.disable_msi=1 from kernel boot and
only 2 lines for re-modprobing.

Best regards,
Octavio.