Date:   Sun, 10 Nov 2019 00:36:19 +0000
From:   nipponmail@...email.cc
To:     Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@...il.com>
Cc:     Alexandre François Garreau
        <galex-713@...ex-713.eu>, gnu-system-discuss@....org,
        gnu-system-discuss
        <gnu-system-discuss-bounces+nipponmail=firemail.cc@....org>,
        rms@....org
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Activation Technologies - You joke, but it's a reality
 now. GrSecurity is doing JUST THAT.

You joke, but GrSecurity is selling licenses for it's kernel patch for
$10,000, and does per-seat licensing. It prevents redistribution of it's
derivative work via an "access agreement" where-in the licensee promises
not to redistribute the derivative work, or else suffer a forfeiture of
his remaining balance, as well as suffer a penalty of recieving no
furthur versions (which he allready paid for).

So: yes: it is allready happening.
It's not a joke anymore.

Yet you here see this as "insane talk" and "yea they can do that, let's
patch the /next version/ of the GPL to prevent it!"

No: they /cannot/ do that. Section 6 forbids additional restrictive
terms, they have added an addional restrictive term (licensee shall no
redistribute except to customers if required), and are enforcing said
restrictive term with a negative covenant.

PLEASE Read:
perens.com/2017/06/28/warning-grsecurity-potential-contributory-infringement-risk-for-customers/

And Page 10 on of this brief:
perens.com/static/OSS_Spenger_v_Perens/0_2018cv15189/docs1/pdf/18.pdf
(which does discuss the copyright matter, even though the case is on
another)