Date:   Tue, 7 Jan 2020 21:45:13 +0530
From:   Muni Sekhar <munisekharrms@...il.com>
To:     linux-pci@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: pcie: xilinx: kernel hang - ISR readl()

Hi,

I have module with Xilinx FPGA. It implements UART(s), SPI(s),
parallel I/O and interfaces them to the Host CPU via PCI Express bus.
I see that my system freezes without capturing the crash dump for
certain tests. I debugged this issue and it was tracked down to the
below mentioned interrupt handler code.

In ISR, first reads the Interrupt Status register using ‘readl()’ as
given below.
    status = readl(ctrl->reg + INT_STATUS);

And then clears the pending interrupts using ‘writel()’ as given blow.
        writel(status, ctrl->reg + INT_STATUS);

I've noticed a kernel hang if INT_STATUS register read again after
clearing the pending interrupts.

Can someone clarify me why the kernel hangs without crash dump incase
if I read the INT_STATUS register using readl() after clearing the
pending bits?

Can readl() block?

Snippet of the ISR code is given blow:

https://pastebin.com/WdnZJZF5

static irqreturn_t pcie_isr(int irq, void *dev_id)

{

        struct test_device *ctrl = data;

        u32 status;

…

        status = readl(ctrl->reg + INT_STATUS);

        /*

         * Check to see if it was our interrupt

         */

        if (!(status & 0x000C))

                return IRQ_NONE;

        /* Clear the interrupt */

        writel(status, ctrl->reg + INT_STATUS);

        if (status & 0x0004) {

                /*

                 * Tx interrupt pending.

                 */

       }

        if (status & 0x0008) {

                /* Rx interrupt Pending */

                /* The system freezes if I read again the INT_STATUS
register as given below */

                status = readl(ctrl->reg + INT_STATUS);

        }

..