Date:   Wed, 18 Mar 2020 10:07:56 -0400
From:   Murali Karicheri <m-karicheri2@...com>
To:     Vinicius Costa Gomes <vinicius.gomes@...el.com>,
        Alexandru Marginean <alexandru.marginean@....com>,
        Xiaoliang Yang <xiaoliang.yang_1@....com>,
        Roy Zang <roy.zang@....com>, Mingkai Hu <mingkai.hu@....com>,
        Jerry Huang <jerry.huang@....com>, Leo Li <leoyang.li@....com>,
        Ivan Khoronzhuk <ivan.khoronzhuk@...aro.org>
Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [v1,net-next, 1/2] ethtool: add setting frame
 preemption of traffic classes

Hi Vinicius,

>>> tglx@...utronix.de; hkallweit1@...il.com; saeedm@...lanox.com;
>>> andrew@...n.ch; f.fainelli@...il.com; alexandru.ardelean@...log.com;
>>> jiri@...lanox.com; ayal@...lanox.com; pablo@...filter.org; linux-
>>> kernel@...r.kernel.org; netdev@...r.kernel.org
>>> Cc: simon.horman@...ronome.com; Claudiu Manoil
>>> <claudiu.manoil@....com>; Vladimir Oltean <vladimir.oltean@....com>;
>>> Alexandru Marginean <alexandru.marginean@....com>; Xiaoliang Yang
>>> <xiaoliang.yang_1@....com>; Roy Zang <roy.zang@....com>; Mingkai Hu
>>> <mingkai.hu@....com>; Jerry Huang <jerry.huang@....com>; Leo Li
>>> <leoyang.li@....com>; Po Liu <po.liu@....com>
>>> Subject: [EXT] Re: [v1,net-next, 1/2] ethtool: add setting frame preemption of
>>> traffic classes
>>>
>>> Caution: EXT Email
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Any updates on this series? If you think that there's something that I could help,
>>> just tell.
>>
>> Sorry for the long time not involve the discussion. I am focus on other tsn code for tc flower.
>> If you can take more about this preemption serial, that would be good.
>>
>> I summary some suggestions from Marali Karicheri and Ivan Khornonzhuk and by you and also others:
>> - Add config the fragment size, hold advance, release advance and flags;
>>      My comments about the fragment size is in the Qbu spec limit the fragment size " the minimum non-final fragment size is 64,
>> 128, 192, or 256 octets " this setting would affect the guardband setting for Qbv. But the ethtool setting could not involve this issues but by the taprio side.
>> - " Furthermore, this setting could be extend for a serial setting for mac and traffic class."  "Better not to using the traffic class concept."
>>     Could adding a serial setting by "ethtool --preemption xxx" or other name. I don' t think it is good to involve in the queue control since queues number may bigger than the TC number.
>> - The ethtool is the better choice to configure the preemption
>>    I agree.
>
> Just a quick update. I was able to dedicate some time to this, and have
> something aproaching RFC-quality, but it needs more testing.

Great! I have got my frame preemption working on my SoC. Currently I am
using some defaults. I test it by using statistics provided by the
SoC. I will be able to integrate and test your patch using my internal
version and will include it in my patch to upstream once I am ready.

Regards,

Murali

--
Murali Karicheri