Date:   Thu, 23 Apr 2020 08:43:56 -0500
From:   Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...deen.net>
To:     Namjae Jeon <namjae.jeon@...sung.com>,
        'LKML' <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     'Hyunchul Lee' <hyc.lee@...il.com>,
        'Sedat Dilek' <sedat.dilek@...il.com>,
        'Goldwyn Rodrigues' <rgoldwyn@...e.de>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] exfatprogs-1.0.2 version released

On 4/23/20 3:49 AM, Namjae Jeon wrote:
> This is the second release of exfatprogs since the initial version(1.0.1).
> We have received various feedbacks and patches since the previous release
> and applied them in this release. Thanks for feedback and patches!
>
> According to Goldwyn's comments, We renamed the project name from
> exfat-utils to exfatprogs. However, There is an opinion that just renaming
> the name is not enough. Because the binary names(mkfs.exfat, fsck.exfat)
> still are same with ones in current exfat-utils RPM package.
>
> If that's real problem, We are considering a long jump with 2.0.0 when adding
> repair feature.
>
> Any feedback is welcome!:)

Just my $0.02 - I think you need to keep the binary names the same, this is a
very common naming convention that other software may depend on.  At least
xfstests certainly expects that the "exfat.$FOO" naming convention is there,
and that "exfat" is used consistently across utilities, module names, statfs
and blkid output etc.

Personally I think it would be sufficient for distribution packages to set the
equivalent of a "Conflicts: exfat-utils" in the exfatprogs package so that they
cannot be installed simultaneously?  The devil is in the details on packaging
but there are usually packaging tricks if we need to replace or exclude one
package with another.

Thanks,
-Eric