Date:   Thu, 11 Jun 2020 21:49:06 +0000
From:   Derek Chickles <dchickles@...vell.com>
To:     Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Satananda Burla <sburla@...vell.com>,
        Felix Manlunas <fmanlunas@...vell.com>
CC:     "frederic@...nel.org" <frederic@...nel.org>,
        "davem@...emloft.net" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        "kuba@...nel.org" <kuba@...nel.org>,
Subject: RE: liquidio vs smp_call_function_single_async()

Hi Peter,

I think you're right that this might be a functional bug, but it won't cause list
corruption. We don't rely on the IPI to process packets; only to move NAPI
processing to another CPU. There are separate register counters that indicate
if and how many new packets have arrived, that will be re-read once it
executes.

I think a patch to check if NAPI is already scheduled would address the
unexpected rescheduling issue here. Otherwise, it can probably live as is,
as there is no harm.

Thanks,
Derek