Date:   Mon, 27 Jul 2020 08:54:41 +0200
From:   SeongJae Park <sjpark@...zon.com>
To:     Michał Mirosław <mirq-linux@...e.qmqm.pl>
CC:     SeongJae Park <sj38.park@...il.com>, Joe Perches <joe@...ches.com>,
        SeongJae Park <sjpark@...zon.com>,
        <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <apw@...onical.com>,
        <colin.king@...onical.com>, <jslaby@...e.cz>, <pavel@....cz>,
        SeongJae Park <sjpark@...zon.de>
Subject: Re: checkpatch: support deprecated terms checking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 22:33:28 +0200 "Michał Mirosław" <mirq-linux@...e.qmqm.pl> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 08:07:48PM +0200, SeongJae Park wrote:

> > > []

> > > Unfortunately, the inexperienced _do_ in fact run
> > > checkpatch on files and submit inappropriate patches.
> > >
> > > It's generally a time sink for the experienced
> > > maintainers to reply.

> > > Tradeoffs...
> > >
> > > I expect that patches being reviewed by maintainers
> > > are preferred over files being inappropriately changed
> > > by the inexperienced.
> > >
> > > Those inappropriate changes should not be encouraged
> > > by tools placed in the hands of the inexperienced.
> >
> > Right, many things are tradeoff.  Seems we arrived in the point, though we
> > still have different opinions.  To summarize the pros and cons of my patch from
> > my perspective:
> >
> > Pros 1: Handle future terms deprecated with different reasons and coverages.
> > Pros 2: Inappropriate patches are avoided if the submitters carefully read the
> > warning messages.
> > Cons: Careless people could still bother maintainers by not carefully reading
> > the message and sending inappropriate patches.
> >
> > To me, the pros still seems larger than the cons.  I would like to also again
> > mention that the maintainer who first reported the problem, Michal, told it's
> > ok with the explicit messaging.  Nonethelss, this is just my opinion.
> >
> > Attaching the patch addressing your comments for the previous version.  The
> > changes from the previous version are:
> >
> >  - Make the name of reported terms not too verbose
> >  - Avoid unnecessary initialization of the reported terms hash
> >  - Warn multiple deprecated terms in same line
>
> Hi,
>
> Maybe you could split the meaning of --subjective and --strict, and
> enable those checks only for --subjective? The test is really hard to do
> right: you would have to consider the context and not only mere occurrence
> of a word (heh, I even wrote 'blacklisted' here, since it really is about
> a night/danger analogy and not political/ethical one).

I'm concerning if applying the switch and making this patch non-default could
reduce the check coverage.  Moreover, IMHO, the deprecation rule of the terms
that described in the 'coding-style.rst' is not so subjective but clear.  Also,
the checkpatch's warning/check message for those seems explicit enough to me.

And, the deprecated terms feature is not for this specific terms
(master/slave/blacklist/whitelist) only but general deprecated terms.  Maybe we
could add one more rule in the 'deprecated_terms.txt' by adding a comment, say,
"Please add only terms that deprecated with clear rules", for avoiding
introduce of subjective deprecated terms in future, though.

Thanks,
SeongJae Park