Date:   Thu, 6 Aug 2020 19:43:55 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org>
Cc:     Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@...el.com>,
        Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@...aro.org>,
        Andrzej Pietrasiewicz <andrzej.p@...labora.com>,
        Colin King <colin.king@...onical.com>,
        Shawn Guo <shawn.guo@...aro.org>,
        Lukasz Luba <Lukasz.Luba@....com>,
        Sumeet Pawnikar <sumeet.r.pawnikar@...el.com>,
        Henry Yen <henry.yen@...iatek.com>,
        Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@...il.com>,
        Marian-Cristian Rotariu
        <marian-cristian.rotariu.rb@...renesas.com>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] RESEND: thermal for v5.9-rc1

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 1:19 PM Daniel Lezcano <daniel.lezcano@...aro.org> wrote:

> - Add generic netlink support for userspace notifications: events,
> temperature
>   and discovery commands (Daniel Lezcano)

This is "default y".

Why?

The help text doesn't explain either.

Please explain, or remove the default y. We don't add new features and
then try to force people to use them by enabling them by default.

"default y" is mainly for when something unconditional gets split up
and becomes conditional (so now "default y" means that you don't break
peoples setups when they don't even know what it is).

Alternatively, "default y" is for things that are make peoples lives
immeasurably better somehow, and it would be a crime to not enable it
because it's _so_ wonderful.

So far, I'm not convinced we've ever hit that second case.

Convince me that the thermal layer is so magical that it really
warrants it. Tell me why and how my life is improved by enabling it.

             Linus