Date:   Mon, 16 Nov 2020 09:57:25 +0100
From:   Rasmus Villemoes <rasmus.villemoes@...vas.dk>
To:     Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@...uni-regensburg.de>,
        coreboot@...eboot.org, grub-devel@....org,
        trenchboot-devel@...glegroups.com, x86@...nel.org,
        u-boot@...ts.denx.de,
        "systemd-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org"
        <systemd-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        xen-devel@...ts.xenproject.org, daniel.kiper@...cle.com,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Cc:     krystian.hebel@...eb.com, michal.zygowski@...eb.com,
        piotr.krol@...eb.com, mtottenh@...mai.com, luto@...capital.net,
        dpsmith@...rtussolutions.com, andrew.cooper3@...rix.com,
        roger.pau@...rix.com, allen.cryptic@...il.com, btrotter@...il.com,
        phcoder@...il.com, lukasz.hawrylko@...el.com,
        ard.biesheuvel@...aro.org, tyhicks@...ux.microsoft.com,
        pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de, hun@...imensional.de, leif@...iainc.com,
        alexander.burmashev@...cle.com, eric.devolder@...cle.com,
        eric.snowberg@...cle.com, joao.m.martins@...cle.com,
        kanth.ghatraju@...cle.com, konrad.wilk@...cle.com,
        ross.philipson@...cle.com, javierm@...hat.com, pjones@...hat.com,
        alecb@...ss.edu, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@...or.com>
Subject: Re: Antw: [EXT] [systemd-devel] [SPECIFICATION RFC] The firmware and
 bootloader log specification

On 16/11/2020 08.02, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Nachricht <20201113235242.k6fzlwmwm2xqhqsi@...ti.i.net-space.pl>:
>> The members of struct bf_log_msg:
>>   ‑ size: total size of bf_log_msg struct,
>>   ‑ ts_nsec: timestamp expressed in nanoseconds starting from 0,
>
> Who or what defines t == 0?

Some sort of "clapperboard" log entry, stating "the RTC says X, the
cycle counter is Y, the onboard ACME atomic clock says Z, I'm now
starting to count ts_nsec from W" might be useful for some eventual
userspace tool to try to stitch together the log entries from the
various stages. I have no idea how a formal spec of such an entry would
look like or if it's even feasible to do formally. But even just such
entries in free-form prose could at least help a human consumer.

Rasmus