Date:   Wed, 22 Sep 2021 13:21:21 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
Cc:     Chris Mason <clm@...com>,
        Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@...il.com>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
        "linux-mm@...ck.org" <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...nel.org>,
        Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
        David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Folios for 5.15 request - Was: re: Folio discussion recap -

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:56 PM Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org> wrote:

> The continued silence from Linus is really driving me to despair.

No need to despair. The silence isn't some "deep" thing.

What  happened is literally that I wasn't 100% happy with the naming,
but didn't hate the patches, and still don't.

But when there is still active discussion about them during the merge
window, I'm just not going to merge them.

The silence literally is just due to that - not participating in the
discussion for the simple reason that I had no hugely strong opinions
on my side - but also simply because there is no way I'd merge this
for 5.15 simply exactly _because_ of this discussion.

Normally I get to clean up my inbox the week after the merge window,
but the -Werror things kept my attention for one extra week, and so my
mailbox has been a disaster area as a result. So only today does my
inbox start to look reasonable again after the merge window (not
because of the extra email during the merge window, but simply because
the merge window causes me to ignore non-pull emails, and then I need
to go back and check the other stuff afterwards).

So I'm not particularly unhappy with the patchset. I understand where
it is coming from, I have no huge technical disagreement with it
personally.

That said, I'm not hugely _enthused_ about the mm side of it either,
which is why I also wouldn't just override the discussion and say
"that's it, I'm merging it". I basically wanted to see if it led
somewhere.

I'm not convinced it led anywhere, but that didn't really change
things for me, except for the "yeah, I'm not merging something core
like this while it's under active discussion" part.