Date:   Sun, 26 Sep 2021 14:57:33 +0300
From:   Urja Rannikko <urjaman@...il.com>
To:     Jianqun Xu <jay.xu@...k-chips.com>,
        Heiko Stübner <heiko@...ech.de>
Cc:     linus.walleij@...aro.org, brgl@...ev.pl,
        "open list:ARM/Rockchip SoC..." <linux-rockchip@...ts.infradead.org>,
        linux-gpio@...r.kernel.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: 5.15-rc2 panics on boot on RK3288 veyron speedy, seems related to
 rockchip pinctrl / gpio split

Hi,

A boot log of this is attached. I can say that this happens on
5.15-rc2 but not on 5.14.7.

Based on the log and some reading of the code my diagnosis is that
rockchip_pinctrl_probe (via rockchip_pinctrl_register and after that
the pinctrl core register calls) ends up trying to apply the
configuration and accesses a null bank->gpio_chip (i think at
drivers/pinctrl/pinctrl-rockchip.c:2139)
before the gpio is "populated" / probed a couple of lines later in
rockchip_pinctrl_probe (line 2710 onwards).

What I don't know is how this is supposed to work and/or how to
properly fix it, so that's why I'm sending this bug report instead.

I'm sending this to the people who last touched the rockchip pinctrl
(and gpio), because that's where this log points me to.

--
Urja Rannikko

View attachment "veyron-pinctrl-gpio-fail.txt" of type "text/plain" (12374 bytes)