Date:   Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:56:35 +0800
From:   Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>
To:     "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>
Cc:     stern@...land.harvard.edu, parri.andrea@...il.com, will@...nel.org,
        peterz@...radead.org, npiggin@...il.com, dhowells@...hat.com,
        j.alglave@....ac.uk, luc.maranget@...ia.fr, akiyks@...il.com,
        dlustig@...dia.com, joel@...lfernandes.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-arch@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Another possible use for LKMM, or a subset (strengthening)
 thereof

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 03:53:13PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 01:56:21PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On the perhaps unlikely chance that this is new news of interest...
> >
> > I have finally prototyped the full "So You Want to Rust the Linux
> > Kernel?" series (as in marked "under construction").
> >
> > https://paulmck.livejournal.com/62436.html
>
> And this blog series is now proclaimed to be feature complete.
>
> Recommendations (both short- and long-term) may be found in the last post,
> "TL;DR: Memory-Model Recommendations for Rusting the Linux Kernel",
> at https://paulmck.livejournal.com/65341.html.

Thanks for putting this together! For the short-term recommendations, I
think one practical goal would be having the equivalent (or stronger)
litmus tests in Rust for the ones in tools/memory-model/litmus-tests.
The translation of litmus tests may be trivial, but it at least ensure
us that Rust can support the existing patterns widely used in Linux
kernel. Of course, the Rust litmus tests don't have to be able to run
with herd, we just need some code snippest to check our understanding of
Rust memory model. ;-)

Besides, it's interesting to how things react with each if one function
in the litmus test is in Rust and the other is in C ;-) Maybe this is a
long-term goal.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Boqun