Date:   Wed, 20 Oct 2021 18:00:04 +0200
From:   "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux Memory Management List <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        lkp@...ts.01.org, kbuild test robot <lkp@...el.com>,
        kernel test robot <oliver.sang@...el.com>,
        Linux PM <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [PM] bfcc1e67ff: kernel-selftests.breakpoints.step_after_suspend_test.fail

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 5:34 PM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/2021 6:49 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> >> Reverting my commit will break powerpc and other ARM/ARM64 platforms
> >> where mem is not supported (via PSCI),
> >
> > It won't break anything, although the things that didn't work before
> > will still not work after it.
> >
> > And "mem" is always supported even if there are no suspend_ops at all,
> > in which case it becomes an alternative way to trigger s2idle.
> >
> > So, on the affected systems, what's there in /sys/power/?  Is
> > mem_sleep present?  If so, what's in it?
>
> With 4.9 which is what I used initially:
>
> # cat /sys/power/state
> freeze standby
> # cat /sys/power/
> pm_async           pm_print_times     pm_wakeup_irq      wakeup_count
> pm_freeze_timeout  pm_test            state
>
> With a newer kernel without my patch:
>
> # cat /sys/power/state
> freeze standby mem
> # cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
> s2idle shallow [deep]

OK, so the "deep" and "shallow" suspend variants appear to be
supported.  What's the problem with advertising "mem" then?

> # cat /sys/power/
> mem_sleep          pm_freeze_timeout  pm_wakeup_irq      wakeup_count
> pm_async           pm_print_times     state
> pm_debug_messages  pm_test            suspend_stats/
>

> >> I have a change pending for PSCI
> >> that will actually check that SYSTEM_SUSPEND is supported before
> >> unconditionally making use of it.

> >> So how do we all get our cookie here? Should we just slap an #ifndef
> >> CONFIG_ACPI in order to allow platforms that do not have "mem" to not
> >> have it?
> >
> > Certainly not.
> >
> > I've just hacked my test-bed system with ACPI so it does not register
> > any suspend_ops at all and I have "freeze mem disk" in
> > /sys/power/state and "s2idle" in /sys/power/mem_sleep.  Writing "mem"
> > to /sys/power/state causes s2idle to be carried out.
> >
> > Since this is the expected behavior, I'm not sure what the problem is.
>
> The problem is advertising "mem" in /sys/power/state when the state is
> not actually supported by the platform firmware here, whether that
> translates into the form of s2idle or not. It is not supported, and it
> should not be there IMHO.

Well, it is there, because some user space expects it to be there on
systems supporting any kind of system-wide suspend, including s2idle.
Like it or not.

If it is not there, the utilities in question assume that system-wide
suspend is not supported at all.

>I was late to the game in identifying that,
> but the 4.9 kernel makes sense to me.
>
> Similarly, if you take arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_pmc.c only
> PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY is valid, so advertising mem would be wrong if we
> don't look at what ->valid tells us.

Again: "mem" appears in /sys/power/state if the system supports any
kind of system-wide suspend (because of the expectations of user space
mentioned above) and mem_sleep decides what it really means.

And this is documented too (see Documentation/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html).