Date:   Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:51:35 -0800
From:   Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@...nel.org>
To:     Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>
Cc:     "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@...ssion.com>,
        Tong Zhang <ztong0001@...il.com>,
        Domenico Andreoli <domenico.andreoli@...ux.com>,
Subject: Re: linux-next: boottime warning from todays linux-next

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 06:46:47PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:38:22 -0800 Luis Chamberlain <mcgrof@...nel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 12:33:36PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for noticing that.  I have removed the old version from my copy
> > > of mmotm today.
> >
> > And ... does that fix your boot?
>
> Yes, the messages are all gone.

Fantastic, thanks for the confirmation!

OK so now a side independent curiousity remains though. Double sysctl
registration should not happen. But if someone introduces a bug by doing
that, it seems to not crash on x86. But it does cause a crash or a
kernel warning on ppc.

Why?

And I think we should just WARN_ONCE() for this case, and make the
issue clearer so that if it happens again, folks don't go scrambling
as if chickens running around with their heads cut off.

  Luis