Date:   Tue, 3 May 2022 16:15:46 -0700
From:   Suren Baghdasaryan <surenb@...gle.com>
To:     Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>
Cc:     "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...e.com>,
        "Liam R. Howlett" <liam.howlett@...cle.com>,
        Michel Lespinasse <walken.cr@...il.com>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>,
        linux-mm <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>
Subject: Re: Memory allocation on speculative fastpaths

On Tue, May 3, 2022 at 11:28 AM Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 09:39:05AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > GFP_NOWAIT | __GFP_NOMEMALLOC | __GFP_NOWARN
> >
> > Ah, good point on GFP_NOWAIT, thank you!
>
> Johannes (I think it was?) made the point to me that if we have another
> task very slowly freeing memory, a task in this path can take advantage
> of that other task's hard work and never go into reclaim.  So the
> approach we should take is:
>
> p4d_alloc(GFP_NOWAIT | __GFP_NOMEMALLOC | __GFP_NOWARN);
> pud_alloc(GFP_NOWAIT | __GFP_NOMEMALLOC | __GFP_NOWARN);
> pmd_alloc(GFP_NOWAIT | __GFP_NOMEMALLOC | __GFP_NOWARN);
>
> if (failure) {
>   rcu_read_unlock();
>   do_reclaim();
>   return FAULT_FLAG_RETRY;
> }
>
> ... but all this is now moot since the approach we agreed to yesterday
> is:

I think the discussion was about the above approach and Johannes
suggested to fallback to the normal pagefault handling with mmap_lock
locked if PMD does not exist. Please correct me if I misunderstood
here.

> rcu_read_lock();
> vma = vma_lookup();
> if (down_read_trylock(&vma->sem)) {
>         rcu_read_unlock();
> } else {
>         rcu_read_unlock();
>         mmap_read_lock(mm);
>         vma = vma_lookup();
>         down_read(&vma->sem);
> }
>
> ... and we then execute the page table allocation under the protection of
> the vma->sem.
>
> At least, that's what I think we agreed to yesterday.

Honestly, I don't remember discussing vma->sem at all.
My understanding is that two approaches were differing by the section
covered by rcu_read_lock/rcu_read_unlock. The solution that you
suggested would handle pagefault completely under RCU as long as it's
possible and would fallback to the mmap_lock if it's impossible, while
Michel's implementation was taking rcu_read_lock/rcu_read_unlock for
smaller sections and would use vma->seq_number to detect any vma
changes between these sections. Your suggested approach sounds simpler
and the way I understood the comments is that we should give it a try.
Did I miss anything?
Thanks,
Suren.