Date:   Thu, 5 May 2022 13:03:19 +0100 (BST)
From:   "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@...am.me.uk>
To:     David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
cc:     'Arnd Bergmann' <arnd@...nel.org>,
        Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>,
        Niklas Schnelle <schnelle@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        linux-arch <linux-arch@...r.kernel.org>,
        linux-pci <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>,
        Dominik Brodowski <linux@...inikbrodowski.net>
Subject: RE: [RFC v2 25/39] pcmcia: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies

On Wed, 4 May 2022, David Laight wrote:

> I think you can find cardbus cards that have a pci bridge and a cable
> link to an expansion chassis into which you can insert standard PCI cards.
> If you are really lucky the initial enumeration allocates the
> 'high field' bus numbers, io addresses and plenty of memory
> space to the bridge - otherwise you lose.

 No need to rely on luck as (given that no single size fits all) we have
the `hpbussize', `hpiosize', `hpmemsize', `hpmmioprefsize', `hpmmiosize',
options to the `pci=...' kernel parameter for people to tune the settings
according to their needs.  I don't have such a CardBus option, but I do
have a couple of such ExpressCard devices, and mixed PCIe/PCI expansion
backplanes for them.

  Maciej