Date:   Wed, 11 May 2022 19:39:56 -0700
From:   Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>
To:     "ying.huang@...el.com" <ying.huang@...el.com>
Cc:     "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com>,
        Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Greg Thelen <gthelen@...gle.com>,
        Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Baolin Wang <baolin.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Brice Goglin <brice.goglin@...il.com>,
        Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>,
        Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@...wei.com>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces

On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 6:42 PM ying.huang@...el.com
<ying.huang@...el.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 10:07 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 12:49 AM ying.huang@...el.com
> > <ying.huang@...el.com> wrote:

> > > Are these tier number fixed?  If so, it appears strange that the
> > > smallest tier number is 0 on some machines, but 1 on some other
> > > machines.
> >
> > When the kernel is configured to allow 3 tiers, we can always show all
> > the 3 tiers. It is just that some tiers (e.g. tier 0) may be empty on
> > some machines.
>
> I still think that it's better to have no empty tiers for auto-generated
> memory tiers by kernel.  Yes, the tier number will be not absolutely
> stable, but that only happens during system bootup in practice, so it's
> not a big issue IMHO.

It should not be hard to hide empty tiers (e.g. tier-0) if we prefer.
But even if tier-0 is empty, we should still keep this tier in the
kernel and not move DRAM nodes into this tier.  One reason is that a
HBM node might be hot-added into tier-0 at a later time.

> And, I still think it's better to make only N-1 tiers writable for
> totally N tiers (or even readable).  Considering "tier0" is written, how
> to deal with nodes in "tier0" before but not after writing?  One
> possible way is to put them into "tierN".  And during a user customize
> the tiers, the union of "N tiers" may be not complete.

The sysfs interfaces that I have in mind now are:

* /sys/devices/system/memtier/memtierN/nodelist (N=0, 1, 2)

This is read-only to list the memory nodes for a specific tier.

* /sys/devices/system/node/nodeN/memtier. (N=0, 1, ...,)

This is a read-write interface. When written, the kernel moves the
node into the user-specified tier.  No other nodes are affected.

This interface should be able to avoid the above issue.