Date:   Thu, 12 May 2022 09:42:24 +0800
From:   "ying.huang@...el.com" <ying.huang@...el.com>
To:     Wei Xu <weixugc@...gle.com>
Cc:     "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Alistair Popple <apopple@...dia.com>,
        Yang Shi <shy828301@...il.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Linux MM <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        Greg Thelen <gthelen@...gle.com>,
        Jagdish Gediya <jvgediya@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Davidlohr Bueso <dave@...olabs.net>,
        Michal Hocko <mhocko@...nel.org>,
        Baolin Wang <baolin.wang@...ux.alibaba.com>,
        Brice Goglin <brice.goglin@...il.com>,
        Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>,
        Jonathan Cameron <Jonathan.Cameron@...wei.com>,
        Tim Chen <tim.c.chen@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: Memory Tiering Kernel Interfaces

On Wed, 2022-05-11 at 10:07 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 12:49 AM ying.huang@...el.com
> <ying.huang@...el.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2022-05-10 at 22:30 -0700, Wei Xu wrote:

> > > This makes sense.  I will send an updated RFC based on the discussions so far.
> >
> > Are these tier number fixed?  If so, it appears strange that the
> > smallest tier number is 0 on some machines, but 1 on some other
> > machines.
>
> When the kernel is configured to allow 3 tiers, we can always show all
> the 3 tiers. It is just that some tiers (e.g. tier 0) may be empty on
> some machines.

I still think that it's better to have no empty tiers for auto-generated
memory tiers by kernel.  Yes, the tier number will be not absolutely
stable, but that only happens during system bootup in practice, so it's
not a big issue IMHO.

And, I still think it's better to make only N-1 tiers writable for
totally N tiers (or even readable).  Considering "tier0" is written, how
to deal with nodes in "tier0" before but not after writing?  One
possible way is to put them into "tierN".  And during a user customize
the tiers, the union of "N tiers" may be not complete.

> BTW, the userspace should not assume a specific meaning of a
> particular tier id because it can change depending on the number of
> tiers that the kernel is configured with.  For example, the userspace
> should not assume that tier-2 always means PMEM nodes.  In a system
> with 4 tiers, PMEM nodes may be in tier-3, not tier-2.

Yes.  This sounds good.

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying