Date:   Wed, 12 Oct 2022 13:21:00 +0200
From:   Peter Newman <peternewman@...gle.com>
To:     Reinette Chatre <reinette.chatre@...el.com>
Cc:     Tony Luck <tony.luck@...el.com>,
        "Yu, Fenghua" <fenghua.yu@...el.com>,
        "Eranian, Stephane" <eranian@...gle.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        James Morse <james.morse@....com>,
        Babu Moger <Babu.Moger@....com>,
        Gaurang Upasani <gupasani@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [RFD] resctrl: reassigning a running container's CTRL_MON group

[Adding Gaurang to CC]

On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 1:35 AM Reinette Chatre
<reinette.chatre@...el.com> wrote:

> On 10/7/2022 10:28 AM, Tony Luck wrote:
> > I don't know how complex it would for the kernel to implement this. Or
> > whether it would meet Google's needs.
> >

> How about moving monitor groups from one control group to another?
>
> Based on the initial description I got the impression that there is
> already a monitor group for every container. (Please correct me if I am
> wrong). If this is the case then it may be possible to create an interface
> that could move an entire monitor group to another control group. This would
> keep the benefit of usage counts remaining intact, tasks get a new closid, but
> keep their rmid. There would be no need for the user to specify process-ids.

Yes, Stephane also pointed out the importance of maintaining RMID assignments
as well and I don't believe I put enough emphasis on it during my
original email.

We need to maintain accurate memory bandwidth usage counts on all
containers, so it's important to be able to maintain an RMID assignment
and its event counts across a CoS downgrade. The solutions Tony
suggested do solve the races in moving the tasks, but the container
would need to temporarily join the default MON group in the new CTRL_MON
group before it can be moved to its replacement MON group.

Being able to re-parent a MON group would allow us to change the CLOSID
independently of the RMID in a container and would address the issue.

The only other point I can think of to differentiate it from the
automatic CLOSID management solution is whether the 1:1 CTRL_MON:CLOSID
approach will become too limiting going forward. For example, if there
are configurations where one resource has far fewer CLOSIDs than others
and we want to start assigning CLOSIDs on-demand, per-resource to avoid
wasting other resources' available CLOSID spaces. If we can foresee this
becoming a concern, then automatic CLOSID management would be
inevitable.

-Peter