Date:   Mon, 17 Oct 2022 14:40:17 +0300
From:   Jani Nikula <jani.nikula@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>,
        intel-gfx <intel-gfx@...ts.freedesktop.org>,
        "Thorsten Leemhuis (regressions address)" <regressions@...mhuis.info>
Cc:     ville.syrjala@...ux.intel.com
Subject: Re: [Intel-gfx] alderlake crashes (random memory corruption?) with
 6.0 i915 / ucode related

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/17/22 10:39, Jani Nikula wrote:

>>> What's the value of section_id that gets printed?
>>
>> I'm guessing this is [1] fixed by commit d3a7051841f0 ("drm/i915/bios:
>> Use hardcoded fp_timing size for generating LFP data pointers") in
>> v6.1-rc1.
>>
>> I don't think this is the root cause for your issues, but I wonder if
>> you could try v6.1-rc1 or drm-tip and see if we've fixed the other stuff
>> already too?
>
> 6.1-rc1 indeed does not trigger the drm_WARN and for now (couple of
> reboots, running for 5 minutes now) it seems stable. 6.0.0 usually
> crashed during boot (but not always).
>
> Do you think it would be worthwhile to try 6.0.0 with d3a7051841f0 ?

My guess is that d3a7051841f0 is a red herring. Sure, it's a warning
splat that would be nice to get fixed in v6.0, but I doubt it has
relevance to the problems you're seeing.

Cc: Ville, your thoughts?

> Any other commits which I can try before I go down the bisect route ?

Seems pretty vague I'm afraid. I know it's painful, but likely bisect is
the fastest way to pinpoint the issue and get at the root cause.

Also, filing a bug at [1] would help us get more attention.

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/issues/new

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center