Date:   Sun, 23 Oct 2022 20:14:00 +0200
From:   Borislav Petkov <bp@...e.de>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     x86-ml <x86@...nel.org>, lkml <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] x86/urgent for 6.1

On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 10:06:37AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Nobody will look at the tag name afterwards, so the tag-name being a
> bit odd doesn't really matter.

I was gonna say, let's have a fixed tag name so that there are no
multiple tags with the same name, per chance, which would confuse. But
it seems that when you pull a tag, it remains a remote tag and doesn't
appear in your tree. Which would be silly because if it did, your tree
would be full of all those tags you're pulling.

It sometimes is kinda annoying in my repo here after I've added a bunch
of repos and fetch from them and all those tags from there appear
locally too and I wonder what those even are.

> But hey, I appreciate the heads-up about the name mix-up

I had a hunch you would. :)

> (although, again, the only time it tends to actually matter is for
> that end-or-release time frame where there can be actual confusion).

Right.

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
GF: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Martje Boudien Moerman
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)