Date:   Tue, 25 Oct 2022 15:00:16 -0400
From:   Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzysztof.kozlowski@...aro.org>
To:     Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>
Cc:     Camel Guo <camel.guo@...s.com>,
        Eric Dumazet <edumazet@...gle.com>,
        Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>,
        Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzysztof.kozlowski+dt@...aro.org>,
        Paolo Abeni <pabeni@...hat.com>,
        Rob Herring <robh+dt@...nel.org>,
        Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@...il.com>,
        Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@...il.com>,
        devicetree@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org, Rob Herring <robh@...nel.org>,
        kernel@...s.com
Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 1/2] dt-bindings: net: dsa: add bindings for GSW
 Series switches

On 25/10/2022 11:01, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>>> +      - enum:
>>> +          - mxl,gsw145-mdio
>>
>> Why "mdio" suffix?
>
> I wondered about that as well. At some point in the future, there
> could be an SPI version of this driver, and a UART version. Would they
> all use the same compatible, and then context it used to determine the
> correct binding? I think the kernel would be happy to do that, but i
> don't know if the YAML tools can support that?

In general the bus should not be encoded in the device compatible. On
which bus this device sits, is determined from the parent, not from the
device compatible. As you wrote the context is used to determine
properties. There are few exceptions, though, but I think this is not a
candidate for such.

>>> +examples:
>>> +  - |
>>> +    #include <dt-bindings/gpio/gpio.h>
>>> +
>>> +    mdio {
>>
>> Hmmm... switch with MDIO is part of MDIO?
>
> Happens a lot. Nothing wrong with this.

OK, everyday learning :)

Best regards,
Krzysztof