Date:   Wed, 9 Nov 2022 09:55:07 +0000
From:   Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@....com>
To:     Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:     Waiman Long <longman@...hat.com>,
        Sebastian Andrzej Siewior <bigeasy@...utronix.de>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>,
        Mel Gorman <mgorman@...e.de>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...hat.com>, Will Deacon <will@...nel.org>,
        Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@....com>
Subject: Re: Crash with PREEMPT_RT on aarch64 machine

On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 06:45:29PM +0100, Jan Kara wrote:
> On Tue 08-11-22 10:53:40, Mark Rutland wrote:

> > > Both the fast path of queued spinlock and rt_spin_lock are using
> > > try_cmpxchg_acquire(), the only difference I saw is the size of the data to
> > > be cmpxchg'ed. qspinlock uses 32-bit integer whereas rt_spin_lock uses
> > > 64-bit pointer. So I believe it is more on how the arm64 does cmpxchg. I
> > > believe there are two different ways of doing it depending on whether LSE
> > > atomics is available in the platform. So exactly what arm64 system is being
> > > used here and what hardware capability does it have?
> >
> > From the /proc/cpuinfo output earlier, this is a Neoverse N1 system, with the
> > LSE atomics. Assuming the kernel was built with support for atomics in-kernel
> > (which is selected by default), it'll be using the LSE version.
>
> So I was able to reproduce the corruption both with LSE atomics enabled &
> disabled in the kernel. It seems the problem takes considerably longer to
> reproduce with LSE atomics enabled but it still does happen.
>
> BTW, I've tried to reproduced the problem on another aarch64 machine with
> CPU from a different vendor:
>
> processor       : 0
> BogoMIPS        : 200.00
> Features        : fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32 atomics fphp asimdhp cpuid asimdrdm jscvt fcma dcpop asimddp asimdfhm
> CPU implementer : 0x48
> CPU architecture: 8
> CPU variant     : 0x1
> CPU part        : 0xd01
> CPU revision    : 0
>
> And there the problem does not reproduce. So might it be a genuine bug in
> the CPU implementation?

Perhaps, though I suspect it's more likely that we have an ordering bug in the
kernel code, and it shows up on CPUs with legitimate but more relaxed ordering.
We've had a couple of those show up on Apple M1, so it might be worth trying on
one of those.

How easy is this to reproduce? What's necessary?

Thanks,
Mark.