Date:   Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:30:33 -0500
From:   Joel Fernandes <joel@...lfernandes.org>
To:     Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        Josh Triplett <josh@...htriplett.org>,
        Lai Jiangshan <jiangshanlai@...il.com>,
        "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>, rcu@...r.kernel.org,
        Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/2] srcu: Remove pre-flip memory barrier

Hi Mathieu,

On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 3:56 PM Mathieu Desnoyers
<mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com> wrote:

> On 2022-12-18 14:13, Joel Fernandes (Google) wrote:
> > Hello, I believe the pre-flip memory barrier is not required. The only reason I
> > can say to remove it, other than the possibility that it is unnecessary, is to
> > not have extra code that does not help. However, since we are issuing a fully
> > memory-barrier after the flip, I cannot say that it hurts to do it anyway.
> >
> > For this reason, please consider these patches as "informational", than a
> > "please merge". :-) Though, feel free to consider merging if you agree!
> >
> > All SRCU scenarios pass with these, with 6 hours of testing.
>
> Hi Joel,
>
> Please have a look at the comments in my side-rcu implementation [1, 2].
> It is similar to what SRCU does (per-cpu counter based grace period
> tracking), but implemented for userspace. The comments explain why this
> works without the memory barrier you identify as useless in SRCU.
>
> Following my implementation of side-rcu, I reviewed the SRCU comments
> and identified that the barrier "/* E */" appears to be useless. I even
> discussed this privately with Paul E. McKenney.
>
> My implementation and comments go further though, and skip the period
> "flip" entirely if the first pass observes that all readers (in both
> periods) are quiescent.

Actually in SRCU, the first pass scans only 1 index, then does the
flip, and the second pass scans the second index. Without doing a
flip, an index cannot be scanned for forward progress reasons because
it is still "active". So I am curious how you can skip flip and still
scan both indexes? I will dig more into your implementation to learn more.

> The most relevant comment in side-rcu is:
>
>   * The grace period completes when it observes that there are no active
>   * readers within each of the periods.
>   *
>   * The active_readers state is initially true for each period, until the
>   * grace period observes that no readers are present for each given
>   * period, at which point the active_readers state becomes false.
>
> So I agree with the clarifications you propose here, but I think we can
> improve the grace period implementation further by clarifying the SRCU
> grace period model.

Thanks a lot, I am curious how you do the "detection of no new
readers" part without globally doing some kind of synchronization. I
will dig more into your implementation to learn more.

Thanks,

 - Joel