Date:   Wed, 28 Dec 2022 20:57:04 +0100
From:   Alejandro Colomar <alx.manpages@...il.com>
To:     Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@...denedbsd.org>,
        oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        John Helmert III <ajak@...too.org>,
        Demi Marie Obenour <demi@...isiblethingslab.com>,
        Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...i.de>,
        "Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)" <lyndon@...hanc.ca>
Cc:     Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@...il.com>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-man@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [oss-security] [patch] proc.5: tell how to parse /proc/*/stat
 correctly

Hi all,

On 12/28/22 20:24, Shawn Webb wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 01:02:35PM -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:

>>> I think the argument I'm trying to make is to be flexible in
>>> implementation, allowing for future needs and wants--that is "future
>>> proofing".
>>
>> Linux should not have an XML, JSON, or YAML serializer.  Linux already
>> does way too much; let’s not add one more thing to the list.
>
> Somewhat agreed. I think formats like JSON provide a good balance
> between machine parseable and human readable.
> As I described earlier, though, when it comes to concepts like procfs
> and sysfs, I have a bias towards abandoning them in favor of sysctl.
> If sysctl nodes were to be used, no new serialization formats would
> need to be implemented--and developers would also use a safter method
> of system and process inspection and manipulation.

Just a comment as someone who is reading without much understanding of the
contents of /prod/pid/stat:

If organization of the data in the file is a problem, and the format starts to
matter, maybe it's a hint that there are too many different contents, and could
be split into different files, each one with its own formatting rules.  I'll
suggest that maybe a set of files, maybe contained in a common directory
stats.d, is what you're looking for?

Binary format is not of my preference, since most user-space tools work with the
standard interface, that is, text.

Cheers,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>

Download attachment "OpenPGP_signature" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)