Date:   Mon, 4 Sep 2023 15:28:29 +0100
From:   Ian Abbott <abbotti@....co.uk>
To:     Niklas Schnelle <schnelle@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org>
Cc:     Linux Regressions <regressions@...ts.linux.dev>,
        Linux Stable <stable@...r.kernel.org>,
        Niklas Schnelle <schnelle@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org>,
        Ian Abbott <abbotti@....co.uk>,
        H Hartley Sweeten <hsweeten@...ionengravers.com>
Subject: [REGRESSION] comedi: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies

Hi,

Commit b5c75b68b7de ("comedi: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies") in v6.5-rc1
onwards makes it impossible to select some comedi configuration options
that were previously selectable.  In addition to adding 'depends on
HAS_IOPORT' directives (which is OK for most of the options), it also
changes 'select COMEDI_8254', 'select COMEDI_DAS08', 'select
COMEDI_NI_LABPC', and 'select COMEDI_AMPLC_DIO200' directives to
'depends on' directives.  Since there is no other way to select those
options it renders the options that depend on them permanently disabled.
It also adds a dependency on HAS_IOPORT to COMEDI_PCI_DRIVERS even
though several configuration options that depend on COMEDI_PCI_DRIVERS
are for drivers that neither use I/O ports nor depend on modules that
call the I/O port functions (inb()/outb() and friends).

Arnd Bergmann recommends[1] reverting the patch and following up with a
fixed version.  I intend to do that.  Niklas Schnelle confirms[2] that
it will not break anything.

[1] Link:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/33c2292b-08cb-44c7-9438-07d4060976ab@app.fastmail.com

[2] Link:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/65d620b2644e2d60b041815fa4bb544a818ae55a.camel@linux.ibm.com

#regzbot introduced: b5c75b68b7de

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti@....co.uk> || MEV Ltd. is a company  )=-
-=( registered in England & Wales.  Regd. number: 02862268.  )=-