Date:   Wed, 4 Oct 2023 10:33:12 +0200
From:   Jiri Slaby <jirislaby@...nel.org>
To:     Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi@...amocchi.jp>,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] firewire updates for 6.5-rc1

On 04. 10. 23, 2:24, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
>
> As long as seeing your recent conversation with your reporter, it looks
> to be an issue specific to the reporter's 1394 OHCI hardware. I suspect
> a quirk specific to it related to accessing to CYCLE_TIME register in
> early time after powering on. It is the reason that I can regenerate the
> issue in my set of hardware.
>
> Would I ask you to request the reporter to inform the detail of
> hardware? If possible, let the reporter open PC box and take some picture
> of the hardware so that we can identify the ICs on the hardware?
>
> Via pci.ids, we can see both 'ASM1083/1085' and 'VT6306/7/8' are used,
> while I need to identify the IC to purchase an alternative so that I can
> regenerate the issue.
Hi,

I asked him in the bug. Feel free to jump in -- no need to be afraid of
asking him directly.

I also asked him to test my last idea (I'm out of them ATM). I let
get_cycle_time() to early return 0.

 From my previous attempt, it's funny that few initial calls to
get_cycle_time() succeeded. Only then it reboots. I have no idea why...
Do you have a suggestion for a patch to test your idea above (quirk to
avoid CYCLE_TIME reads early)?

thanks,
--
js