Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:29:12 -0700
From: Eric Biggers <ebiggers@...nel.org>
To: Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Cc: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@...b.auug.org.au>,
	Barry Song <v-songbaohua@...o.com>,
	Linux Crypto List <linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the crypto tree

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 10:04:28AM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 07:01:12PM -0700, Eric Biggers wrote:
> >
> > The only user of comp_alg_common was the crypto stats, and it was introduced by
> > a refactoring of the crypto stats (commit 0a742389bcc0, "crypto: acomp - Count
> > error stats differently"), so it seems appropriate to remove it for now.
> >
> > If you could go through my patch and explain what other unused code related to
> > the crypto stats you might consider to be "infrastructure" that should not be
> > removed, that would be helpful.
>
> The first patch should only remove code directly related to
> STATS.  Any removal of code that is rendered useless should
> be done in one or more subsequent patches.
>
> Thanks,

comp_alg_common was part of the implementation of STATS.

I'll do the best I can to interpret your request, but if you could actually
review my original patch and let me know if there are any other specific changes
you'd like besides keeping comp_alg_common, that would be helpful as then maybe
the next version won't get reverted.

- Eric