Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 12:33:11 +0200
From: Uwe Kleine-König <ukleinek@...nel.org>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
	Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>, David Gow <davidgow@...gle.com>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, kernel@...gutronix.de, Philipp Zabel <p.zabel@...gutronix.de>,
	Nishanth Menon <nm@...com>, Jeremy Kerr <jk@...abs.org>,
	Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@...eenne.com>, Thierry Reding <treding@...dia.com>,
	Matt Coster <matt.coster@...tec.com>, Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann@...e.de>,
	Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@...el.com>, Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
	Vishal Verma <vishal.l.verma@...el.com>, Bjorn Andersson <andersson@...nel.org>
Subject: [GIT PULL] platform: Make platform_driver::remove() return void

Hello Greg

On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 06:13:54PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 10:34:15AM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > there are only very little platform drivers left in v6.10-rc1 that need
> > to be changed to .remove_new() before this patch can be applied. They
> > were all sent out to the respective maintainers, most of them suggested
> > to apply the patches together with this one.
> >
> > You can fetch this patch together with all necessary commits from:
> >
> > 	https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ukleinek/linux.git platform-remove-void
> >
> > If you have no concerns, I can also provide you a signed tag for
> > pulling. I think that's easier than indiviually applying them, but I can
> > also send out the complete series if you prefer.
>
> A signed tag is good, I can just pull from that, thanks!

here it comes:

The following changes since commit 1613e604df0cd359cf2a7fbd9be7a0bcfacfabd0:

  Linux 6.10-rc1 (2024-05-26 15:20:12 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ukleinek/linux.git tags/platform-remove-void-step-b

for you to fetch changes up to 0edb555a65d1ef047a9805051c36922b52a38a9d:

  platform: Make platform_driver::remove() return void (2024-05-27 10:34:35 +0200)

Change struct platform_driver::remove() to return void

This is step b) of the plan outlined in commit 5c5a7680e67b ("platform:
Provide a remove callback that returns no value"), which completes the
first major step of making the remove callback return no value. Up to
now it returned an int which however was mostly ignored by the driver
core and lured driver authors to believe there is some error handling.

Note that the Linux driver model assumes that removing a device cannot
fail, so this isn't about being lazy and not implementing error handling
in the core and so making .remove return void is the right thing to do.

Uwe Kleine-König (18):
      reset: meson-audio-arb: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      reset: rzg2l-usbphy-ctrl: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      reset: ti-sci: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      Merge branch 'reset/next' of git://git.pengutronix.de/pza/linux
      fsi: master-aspeed: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      fsi: master-ast-cf: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      fsi: master-gpio: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      fsi: occ: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      pps: clients: gpio: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      gpu: host1x: mipi: Benefit from devm_clk_get_prepared()
      drm/imagination: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      drm/mediatek: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      gpu: host1x: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      gpu: ipu-v3: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      nvdimm/e820: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      nvdimm/of_pmem: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      samples: qmi: Convert to platform remove callback returning void
      platform: Make platform_driver::remove() return void

 drivers/base/platform.c                 | 10 ++--------
 drivers/fsi/fsi-master-aspeed.c         |  6 ++----
 drivers/fsi/fsi-master-ast-cf.c         |  6 ++----
 drivers/fsi/fsi-master-gpio.c           |  6 ++----
 drivers/fsi/fsi-occ.c                   |  6 ++----
 drivers/gpu/drm/imagination/pvr_drv.c   |  7 ++-----
 drivers/gpu/drm/mediatek/mtk_padding.c  |  5 ++---
 drivers/gpu/host1x/dev.c                |  6 ++----
 drivers/gpu/host1x/mipi.c               | 17 +----------------
 drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-common.c         |  6 ++----
 drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-pre.c            |  5 ++---
 drivers/gpu/ipu-v3/ipu-prg.c            |  6 ++----
 drivers/nvdimm/e820.c                   |  5 ++---
 drivers/nvdimm/of_pmem.c                |  6 ++----
 drivers/pps/clients/pps-gpio.c          |  5 ++---
 drivers/reset/reset-meson-audio-arb.c   |  6 ++----
 drivers/reset/reset-rzg2l-usbphy-ctrl.c |  6 ++----
 drivers/reset/reset-ti-sci.c            |  6 ++----
 include/linux/platform_device.h         | 15 +++++++--------
 samples/qmi/qmi_sample_client.c         |  6 ++----

Thanks for considering this,
Uwe

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (489 bytes)