Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 17:56:56 +0200
From: Laura Nao <laura.nao@...labora.com>
To: tim.bird@...y.com
Cc: kernelci@...ts.linux.dev,
	laura.nao@...labora.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-kselftest@...r.kernel.org
Subject: RE: Testing Quality Call notes - 2024-06-13

Hi Tim,

On 6/18/24 19:29, Bird, Tim wrote:
> [...]

We have sent an invitation to the meeting, let us know if you
didn't receive it and we'll resend it. Please note that the meeting is
currently scheduled for 13:00 UTC, which unfortunately is not very
PDT-friendly.

>> In recent months, we at Collabora have focused on various kernel areas,
>> assessing the tests already available upstream and contributing patches
>> to make them easily runnable in CIs.

>> *Boot time test*
>>
>> - Investigating possibility of adding new test upstream to measure the
>>    kernel boot time and detect regressions
>> - Need to investigate available interfaces for reporting boot/probe times
>> - Multiple measurement points may be necessary, need to establish a clear
>>    definition of "boot" first
>> - Influenced by defconfig; testing with various kernel configurations
>>    recommended
>
> I'm extremely interested in this.  I was planning on creating some boot time instrumentation
> and a boot time test, this summer (before LPC in September).  I would be
> thrilled to talk to other developers about this (either by e-mail, in your bi-weekly
> call, or at Plumbers) before I get too far into it.

That's great to hear! We're just beginning our investigation by reviewing
the available interfaces and assessing how to use them in a potential
in-tree test. We would be happy to discuss this further during the
testing quality meeting on June 27th, or sooner via email. We'll reach
out once we have some ideas to propose and discuss.

> If others are working on measuring, testing,  or reducing boot time, please
> consider joining the "Embedded and IOT" micro-conference at Plumbers in September.
>
> One of the chief topics of that micro-conference will be boot time.  Please contact me
> and I can let you know instructions for submitting a topic proposal for the event.
> (Or just submit something at: https://lpc.events/event/18/abstracts/)
> The instrumentation and testing of boot time would be a great topic for the
> micro-conference!!
>
>   -- Tim

Thanks for the heads up, we'll keep this in mind!

Best,

Laura