Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2024 23:13:22 -0300
From: Ágatha Isabelle Chris Moreira Guedes <code@...tha.dev>
To: Philipp Hortmann <philipp.g.hortmann@...il.com>
Cc: linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org, linux-staging@...ts.linux.dev,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Tom Mounet <tommounet@...il.com>,
	Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@...ia.fr>, Marc Dietrich <marvin24@....de>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] staging: nvec: cannot configure to compile driver for
 testing

Hi!

On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 12:37:53PM GMT, Philipp Hortmann wrote:
> When start make menuconfig
>
> and search with / for NVEC I can see:
>
> Symbol: MFD_NVEC [=n]
> Type  : tristate
>
>                                        Defined at
> drivers/staging/nvec/Kconfig:2
> Prompt: NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface
> Depends on: STAGING [=y] && I2C [=y] && GPIOLIB [=y] && ARCH_TEGRA
> Location:
>
>  -> Device Drivers                                                      (2)
> -> Staging drivers (STAGING [=y])
> 	 -> NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface (MFD_NVEC [=n])
> Selects: MFD_CORE [=y]
>

> But I cannot jump or go into "NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface"

Have you checked whether you have its dependencies enabled?

It seems like you have STAGING, I2C and GPIOLIB, but not ARCH_TEGRA.

Is your kernel configured for the right architecture? Are you using
ARCH=arm environment variable? You can do this by running the command:

$ ARCH=arm make menuconfig

> In my .config file there is no string "NVEC" at all.

If it's generated by `make menuconfig` and you don't have the
dependencies, as far as I can recall it's not supposed to have this
string at all.

> How to config this driver to be compiled?

I haven't worked much with kernel for ARM-based SoCs, but I think as
soon as you have your kernel properly configured for the correct
architecture and having all dependencies met  you'll see it there. I
just tested and it shows up for me

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (229 bytes)