Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2024 21:26:45 +0200
From: Philipp Hortmann <philipp.g.hortmann@...il.com>
To: Ágatha Isabelle Chris Moreira Guedes <code@...tha.dev>
Cc: linux-tegra@...r.kernel.org, linux-staging@...ts.linux.dev,
 linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Tom Mounet <tommounet@...il.com>,
 Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@...ia.fr>, Marc Dietrich <marvin24@....de>,
 Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] staging: nvec: cannot configure to compile driver for
 testing

On 7/1/24 04:13, Ágatha Isabelle Chris Moreira Guedes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2024 at 12:37:53PM GMT, Philipp Hortmann wrote:
>> When start make menuconfig
>>
>> and search with / for NVEC I can see:
>>
>> Symbol: MFD_NVEC [=n]
>> Type  : tristate
>>
>>                                         Defined at
>> drivers/staging/nvec/Kconfig:2
>> Prompt: NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface
>> Depends on: STAGING [=y] && I2C [=y] && GPIOLIB [=y] && ARCH_TEGRA
>> Location:
>>
>>   -> Device Drivers                                                      (2)
>> -> Staging drivers (STAGING [=y])
>> 	 -> NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface (MFD_NVEC [=n])
>> Selects: MFD_CORE [=y]
>>

>> But I cannot jump or go into "NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface"
>
> Have you checked whether you have its dependencies enabled?
>
> It seems like you have STAGING, I2C and GPIOLIB, but not ARCH_TEGRA.
>
> Is your kernel configured for the right architecture? Are you using
> ARCH=arm environment variable? You can do this by running the command:
>
> $ ARCH=arm make menuconfig
>
>> In my .config file there is no string "NVEC" at all.
>
> If it's generated by `make menuconfig` and you don't have the
> dependencies, as far as I can recall it's not supposed to have this
> string at all.
>
>> How to config this driver to be compiled?
>
> I haven't worked much with kernel for ARM-based SoCs, but I think as
> soon as you have your kernel properly configured for the correct
> architecture and having all dependencies met  you'll see it there. I
> just tested and it shows up for me

Hi,

thanks for the hints. Here the steps I took on my x86_64:

saved my .config file.
sudo apt install gcc-aarch64-linux-gnu
export ARCH=arm64
export CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-
make defconfig
make menuconfig
	used / NVEC to find driver(s) and set them all to modules
make scripts prepare modules_prepare
make -j6
make -C . M=drivers/staging/nvec

Thanks for your support.