Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 05:31:27 +0800
From: Alan Huang <mmpgouride@...il.com>
To: Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@...ux.dev>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
 Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>,
 linux-bcachefs@...r.kernel.org,
 linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
 LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs fixes for 6.12-rc2

On Oct 7, 2024, at 03:29, Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@...ux.dev> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 06, 2024 at 12:04:45PM GMT, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but your system isn't available to the
>>> community, and I haven't seen a CI or dashboard for kdevops?
>>>
>>> Believe me, I would love to not be sinking time into this as well, but
>>> we need to standardize on something everyone can use.
>>
>> I really don't think we necessarily need to standardize. Certainly not
>> across completely different subsystems.
>>
>> Maybe filesystem people have something in common, but honestly, even
>> that is rather questionable. Different filesystems have enough
>> different features that you will have different testing needs.
>>
>> And a filesystem tree and an architecture tree (or the networking
>> tree, or whatever) have basically almost _zero_ overlap in testing -
>> apart from the obvious side of just basic build and boot testing.
>>
>> And don't even get me started on drivers, which have a whole different
>> thing and can generally not be tested in some random VM at all.
>
> Drivers are obviously a whole different ballgame, but what I'm after is
> more
> - tooling the community can use
> - some level of common infrastructure, so we're not all rolling our own.
>
> "Test infrastructure the community can use" is a big one, because
> enabling the community and making it easier for people to participate
> and do real development is where our pipeline of new engineers comes
> from.

Yeah, the CI is really helpful, at least for those who want to get involved in
the development of bcachefs. As a new comer, I’m not at all interested in setting up
a separate testing environment at the very beginning, which might be time-consuming
and costly.

> Over the past 15 years, I've seen the filesystem community get smaller
> and older, and that's not a good thing. I've had some good success with
> giving ktest access to people in the community, who then start using it
> actively and contributing (small, so far) patches (and interesting, a
> lot of the new activity is from China) - this means they can do
> development at a reasonable pace and I don't have to look at their code
> until it's actually passing all the tests, which is _huge_.
>
> And filesystem tests take overnight to run on a single machine, so
> having something that gets them results back in 20 minutes is also huge.

Exactly, I can verify some ideas very quickly with the help of the CI.

So, a big thank you for all the effort you've put into it!