Date:	Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:14:58 -0800
From:	Auke Kok <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
To:	Kenzo Iwami <k-iwami@...jp.nec.com>
CC:	Jesse Brandeburg <jesse.brandeburg@...el.com>,
	"Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@...el.com>,
	Shaw Vrana <shaw@...nix.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: watchdog timeout panic in e1000 driver

Kenzo Iwami wrote:
> With this patch applied, I confirmed that the system doesn't panic.
> I think this patch can fix this problem.
> Does this patch have problems.

Kenzo,

thanks for staying patient while most of us were out or busy. Apart from acknowledging
that you might have fixed a problem with your patch, we're very reluctant to merge such
a huge change in our driver that touches much more cases then the one that seems to be
giving you problems.

I've thought up a much more elegant solution that prevents the driver from asserting the
swfw semaphore during normal operations by checking the mac LU (link up) register in the
watchdog. This allows the watchdog task to bypass all PHY checking in case all link
statuses are OK, and thus removes the big problem that you are seeing.

Attached a version that should apply against most current trees. Please give it a try
and let us know if this also fixes the problem for you. I will most likely push this
patch to the netdev tree in any case.

Cheers,

Auke
---

View attachment "e1000_git_link_check_for_change_only.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1231 bytes)