Date:	Sun, 4 Mar 2007 18:25:50 -0600
From:	Matt Mackall <mpm@...enic.com>
To:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
Cc:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, yi.zhu@...el.com, jketreno@...ux.intel.com,
	linux-wireless <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>, akpm@...l.org
Subject: Re: Recent wireless breakage (ipw2200, iwconfig, NetworkManager)

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:39:24AM +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> [adding linux-wireless to CC]
>
> On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 16:08 -0600, Matt Mackall wrote:
> > Recent kernels are having troubles with wireless for me. Two seemingly
> > related problems:
>
> I don't think they are related actually.
>
> > a) NetworkManager seems oblivious to the existence of my IPW2200
>
> This is due to the recent sysfs restructuring I think. IIRC the fix is
> to upgrade hal to a current git version.

If that's the cause, the fix is to back out whatever was done to break
userspace. Breaking userspace is not ok. Upgrading from 2.6.x to
2.6.x+1 should not entail replacing substantial parts of userspace,
especially with NOT-EVEN-FRAKKING-RELEASED-YET CODE.

I will try a new HAL when it shows up in Debian/unstable and not a
moment sooner.

> > b) Manual iwconfig waits for 60s and then reports:
>
> That one's strange.
>
> > A second attempt to enable WEP via iwconfig succeeds and network
> > connectivity is normal. However, NetworkManager still ignores the
> > device at this point.
>
> I'd think it's a ipw bug but I have no idea if that was even touched
> during this time.
>
> > Bisect with Mercurial points to this patch:
> >
> > $ hg bisect bad
> > The first bad revision is:
> > changeset:   46985:f701b96bb2f7
> > user:        Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...e.de>
> > date:        Wed Feb 07 10:37:11 2007 -0800
> > summary:     Network: convert network devices to use struct device
> > instead of class_device
> >
> > which corresponds to 43cb76d91ee85f579a69d42bc8efc08bac560278 in git.
>
> Yup, sysfs breakage/hal stuff. Can you try with a recent hal? And maybe
> try to bisect the iwconfig stop thing if you've got enough time...

Will double-check the iwconfig tests. It's been masked by
NetworkManager for a while.