Date:	Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:46:44 -0600
From:	Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@...thlink.net>
To:	Florian Zumbiehl <florz@....de>
Cc:	davem@...emloft.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Mailer-Daemon@...n.florz.dyndns.org: Mail delivery failed:
	returning message to sender]

In the current  code SID 0 indicates that the socket is to be un-bound.
Supporting unbinding of the socket was intended to permit the PPPoE
session to be reconnected without closing/reopening the socket; which
would mean that you'd have to re-bind the PPPoE/PPP channel bindings.
Thus it is conceivable to swap or renegotiate PPPoE connection
underneath a PPP connection, hypothetically if anyone ever considered
doing so.  Is that worth it?  I don't know.  One could eliminate that
disconnect behavior and I don't think anyone would care.

I'll conceed that a SID of 0 could appear from outer space.   I've never
seen that happening. The only way I see this being an issue is if a
PPPoE server insists on giving you SID 0 and only SID 0 repeatedly.  And
I've never seen *that* happening.

If you'd really like to pursue this, I'll be happy to review and ack
patches in this regard.  However, I don't see what there is to be
actually gained by pursuing this.   I'm open to being convinced; what is
the motivation behind this?  If there is a real problem here I'll be
glad to get involved in fixing it myself.

--
Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@...thlink.net>