Date:	Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:06:38 +0300
From:	Sami Farin <safari-kernel@...ari.iki.fi>
Subject: updated tcatm patches for kernel/iproute 2.6.22

I got tired of getting 15% packet loss [1] when doing
lots of DNS lookups on my ADSL link...
And that was even when limiting outgoing DNS traffic
to 200 Kbit/s (ADSL modem upstream speed is 512 Kbit/s).

I had used tcatm patch with 2.6.16 kernel and I was
happy with it.
Now I patched Linux kernel 2.6.22 and iproute-2.6.22
for tcatm.  Seems to work (TM).  Only HTB tested.

Now I get 0% packet loss when doing lots of DNS queries
(270pps) and DNS traffic is limited with
HTB/ESFQ to 504Kbit/s.  I used "tc class add ... atm overhead 20"
but I am not sure is it really 20 (Sonera in Finland).
Without tcatm I had to have there 420Kbit and it still sucked.

I keep patches at
http://safari.iki.fi/tcatm/

I read one thread from this year where there were objections
about tcatm's some parts and then discussion petered out...
I and probably Russell Stuart would probably like to get
these patches fixed so that everyone is pleased
and these can be incorporated into kernel some year,
because I believe ADSL is very popular nowadays ( =) )
and people would probably like if traffic control was
actually usable for them ( =) )...

[1] ping -A 80.223.96.1

--
Do what you love because life is too short for anything else.

View attachment "linux-2.6.22-tcatm-1.0.patch" of type "text/plain" (3440 bytes)

View attachment "iproute-2.6.22-tcatm.patch" of type "text/plain" (21317 bytes)