Date:	Mon, 6 Aug 2007 11:45:29 -0700
From:	"Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@...el.com>
To:	<trenn@...e.de>,
	"Michal Piotrowski" <michal.k.k.piotrowski@...il.com>
Cc:	"Linus Torvalds" <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"Andrew Morton" <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>,
	"LKML" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Christoph Lameter" <clameter@....com>,
	"Pekka Enberg" <penberg@...helsinki.fi>,
	"Peter Zijlstra" <peterz@...radead.org>,
	"Ingo Molnar" <mingo@...e.hu>, "Jan Dittmer" <jdi@....org>,
	"Netdev" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Joachim Deguara" <joachim.deguara@....com>,
	"Michael Chan" <mchan@...adcom.com>, <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	"James Bottomley" <James.Bottomley@...eleye.com>,
	"Matthew Wilcox" <matthew@....cx>,
	"Seokmann Ju" <seokmann.ju@...gic.com>,
	"Richard Lary" <rlary@...ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [2/2] 2.6.23-rc2: known regressions with patches

> > Caused-By       : Thomas Renninger <trenn@...e.de>
> >                   commit 29b71a1ca74491fab9fed09e9d835d840d042690

> A patch was sent to Tony. AFAIK it got accepted, not sure whether it
> already is in any and which git tree...

The suggested patch adds manual padding to the acpi_device_id structure
definition in include/linux/mod_devicetable.h  I didn't take it, and it
appears that nobody else did either.  It is not in Linus' tree (as of 2.6.23-rc2).

I expressed doubts about whether this is the right fix.  The problem
is that when cross-compiling a locally compiled utility makes a size &
alignment check.  This is bogus.  We shouldn't care whether this structure
compiles to the same size/alignment as the kernel that will use on the
target platform.

Is fixing this the right way (make the scripts/mod/file2alias.c understand
target alignment rules in a cross environment) just too hideous to
contemplate ... and we should just sacrifice 7 bytes of padding in
order to keep life simple?

-Tony