Date:	Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:49:15 -0500
From:	"ericj" <ericj@...cj.net>
To:	"Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>
Cc:	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, NetDev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: e100 (was: eepro100) - Nobody Cares (hardware?)

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 17:45:09 -0700, Kok, Auke wrote

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=42302&package_id=68544

> The issue that you are reporting:
>
> "My system boots fine but when I try to bring up the onboard
> ethernet (an EEPro 100 VE) I get a "Nobody Cares" message and
> the interrupt is disabled."
>
> However has been recently patched. This should have worked
> regardless of whether you used e100 or eepro100 (noting that
> nobody supports eepro100 anymore, you should really use e100
> for all tests).
>
> if you look in drivers/pci/quirks.c you'll find that there is
> specific code for e100 devices. If this quirk doesn't work for
> you then we'll need to dig into that. For this I'd like you to
> gather:
>
> - `ethtool -e eth0` output
> - `lspci -n` output
>
> this will allow me to check the quirck code and see if it has
> the right device ID. I'm suspecting that the device ID is
> missing somehow, or the workaround fails.
>
> Auke

Thanks for the help.

Here are the lspci -n and ethtool -e outputs. I am attaching both the
results for the 'bad' unit and for another one which is supposedly
identical except for some battery charge circuitry.

The eeprom data on the bad one may be a little odd due to my trying to
make it match that of the good one, including that I forgot what the
real MAC address was supposed to be.

I can get one that I haven't screwed up if you need it, but it will
probably take all day.

--

"A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something" -- Frank Capra

Eric Johnson

Download attachment "lspci_good.txt" of type "application/octet-stream" (585 bytes)

Download attachment "lspci_bad.txt" of type "application/octet-stream" (585 bytes)

Download attachment "ethtool_bad.txt" of type "application/octet-stream" (486 bytes)

Download attachment "ethtool_good.txt" of type "application/octet-stream" (486 bytes)