Date:	Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:20:15 +0100
From:	James Chapman <jchapman@...alix.com>
To:	hadi@...erus.ca
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, davem@...emloft.net, jeff@...zik.org,
	mandeep.baines@...il.com, ossthema@...ibm.com,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...l.org>
Subject: Re: RFC: possible NAPI improvements to reduce interrupt rates for
 low traffic rates

jamal wrote:

> If the problem i am trying to solve is "reduce cpu use at lower rate",
> then this is not the right answer because your cpu use has gone up.

The problem I'm trying to solve is "reduce the max interrupt rate from
NAPI drivers while minimizing latency". In modern systems, the interrupt
rate can be so high that the CPU spends too much time processing
interrupts, resulting in the system's behavior seen by the user being
degraded.

Having the poll() called when idle will always increase CPU usage. But
the feedback you and others are giving encourages me to find a better
compromise. At the end of the day, it's going to be a trade-off of cpu
and latency. The trade-off will be different for each hardware system
and application environment so parameters need to be tunable.

I'll go away and do some tests. I'll post results here for discussion later.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
James Chapman
Katalix Systems Ltd