Date:	Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:46:24 +0100
From:	Rene Herman <rene.herman@...access.nl>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	rmk+lkml@....linux.org.uk, alsa-devel@...a-project.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-pcmcia@...ts.infradead.org,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, protasnb@...il.com,
	linux-ide@...r.kernel.org, bugme-daemon@...zilla.kernel.org,
	linux-input@...ey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz, akpm@...ux-foundation.org,
	Jaroslav Kysela <perex@...e.cz>, Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
Subject: Re: [alsa-devel] [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

On 14-11-07 11:07, David Miller wrote:

Added Jaroslav and Takashi to the already extensive CC....

> From: Russell King <rmk+lkml@....linux.org.uk>

>> So, when are you creating a replacement alsa-devel mailing list on
>> vger?  That's also subscribers-only.
>
> The operative term is "alternative" rather than "replacement".
> Perhaps this misunderstanding is what you're so upset about.
>
> And yes, that alsa list bugs the crap out of me too.  I'm more than
> happy to provide an alternative for that one as well.

alsa-devel@...a-project.org is not subscriber-only. Same as that arm list,
it's _moderated_ for non-subscribers and given that I and other moderators
have been doing our best to moderate quickly (I tend to stay logged in to
the moderation interface all day for example) what specifically bugged the
crap out of you? It's not something a poster needs to concern himself with.

Also for alsa-devel the moderators tend to add any valid non-subcribers to
a whitelist after landing in the queue the first time meaning even a delay
is just a one-time thing normally. So what's the trouble? Basically, noone
need even notice...

> In fact, *poof*, there it is, linux-alsa@...r.kernel.org is there and
> available for anyone who wants to use it.

Not that I think that moving alsa-devel over to vger wouldn't be a good idea
mind you; when the list moved from sourceforge, asking you to host it was my
preferred option. I do somewhat suspect that Jaroslav would like to keep the
alsa-devel@ name (and I'd like to ask you to then also host alsa-user@) and
would then rewrite mail to those lists @alsa-project.org to vger.

But what is the problem you speak of with the alsa-devel list? While I would
not mind loosing it, moderation hasn't been overly laborious and I'm not
aware of any serious problems.

Rene.