Date:	Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:53:52 -0800
From:	Chris Leech <christopher.leech@...el.com>
To:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
CC:	"Love, Robert W" <robert.w.love@...el.com>,
	linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org,
	"Waskiewicz Jr, Peter P" <peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>,
	devel@...n-fcoe.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Rob Love <robert.w.love@...ux.intel.com>,
	"Zou, Yi" <yi.zou@...el.com>, "Dev, Vasu" <vasu.dev@...el.com>,
	james.bottomley@...senpartnership.com, davem@...emloft.net,
	jeff@...zik.org, "Kok, Auke-jan H" <auke-jan.h.kok@...el.com>,
	"Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@...el.com>,
	"Van De Ven, Arjan" <arjan.van.de.ven@...el.com>,
	Mike Christie <michaelc@...wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Open-FCoE - Fibre Channel over Ethernet Project

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> I just did a very quick glance over the tree.  Some extremly highlevel
> comments to start with before actually starting the source review:

Thanks for taking a look Christoph

>  - why do you need your own libcrc?  lib/crc32.c has a crc32_le

We shouldn't, but we may want to add a CRC and copy routine.

>  - libsa should go.  Much of it is just wrappers of kernel functions
>    that should be used directly.  Other like that hash, even or state
>    helpers might either be opencoded in the caller or made completely
>    generic in lib/.  Probably the former but we'll have to see.

Yes, and along with it the last use of the BSD TAILQ macros.  Just
before Rob set up the open repos I finished converting most of those to
list_head, the only one left is in the sa_event mechanism.  Rather than
convert it I'd like to replace the use of sa_event with notifier call
chains.  I just need to finish auditing the use to make sure the
differences won't cause unexpected problems.

After than and unwrapping kernel functions, I think the only thing left
before completly removing libsa is to open code the state machines.

Similarly I think net_types.h need to go.

- Chris