Date:	Fri, 28 Dec 2007 01:44:17 +0200
From:	"Denys Fedoryshchenko" <denys@...p.net.lb>
To:	Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: testing crazy stuff with iproute2

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:54:55 +0100, Jarek Poplawski wrote
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:25:53PM +0200, Denys Fedoryshchenko wrote:
> > I will try to talk in lartc, about HTB i wrote another mail...
> > It is not acting as TBF with burst, it is even acting weird. Probably it
is
> > bug, when traffic get "blocked" cause of burst.
>
> HTB was probably projected to be simple, so it has less knobs than
> CBQ or TBF. But it shouldn't act weird, unless you do weird things...
> E.g. what do you expect with 'rate 8bit'? I think, you should
> firstly do some tests with different rates without touching cburst
> or even quantum: HTB usually uses workable defaults if rates and
> packet sizes are within some limits. End at the beginning I think
> it's better to always use 'default' parameter with qdisc, and add
> some class for this to verify all traffic is filtered as expected.

It is just to make ceil thing there is no bandwidth available. I know that
parents in theory must be equal or more than childs sum and etc. About
strange cburst/burst i will explain in next part.

> > I will try to use lartc, if it is better to not "spam" my stuff here :-)
>
> Maybe you don't believe it, but I really knew much more about
> properly setting HTB parameters 2 years ago, when I read lartc or
> not worse our local linux networking news group than now - when,
> this practical knowledge was mostly erased by some 'useless' inside details.

For bandwidth sharing it is perfect, but i want just to make things, which i
did with TBF - some time bursty speed, and then slow down to lower speed if
customer is using too much. In theory it has to work like this, but in
practice i am hitting wall. I tried it about 1 year ago, it was same thing,
just with another conditions. Seems cburst/burst a bit different thing, just
to make load on CPU by HTB less , at high speeds.

> > I didn't try yet PSPacer yet, as ESFQ things. If it is need i can do that
and
> > write feedback. I can use some of them in real environment after some pre-
> > testing.
>
> It looked like very interesting, so I'm only a bit curious why so
> quiet...
On my experience people don't like much talking on mails, sending bug reports
and etc. I know a lot of people who have kernel panic, oops issues, and who
don't know what to do, just to blame "linux". Now i am trying to help them
and also to help improve linux this way.
For me personally more interesting right now ESFQ way. Just i am scared to
put in producting patches not from mainline, cause then on issues i cannot
write proper bugreport.

> Jarek P.
> --

Denys Fedoryshchenko